Key Workers - Housing Advice

The criteria for key workers are listed below. As a key worker you are eligible for rented and shared ownership property which is designated for key workers. If you are a key worker, you are probably also eligible for the general needs (non-key worker) shared ownership housing. To register as a key worker you should register using the following links:

Key Worker Living Eligibility Criteria - 06/07 and 07/08

The basic criteria to be met by all applicants accessing assistance through both the Open Market Homebuy and New Build Homebuy is:

  • Be unable to buy a home suitable for their household needs within a reasonable travel to work area of their employment;
  • Have indefinite leave either to enter or to remain in the UK (excluding key workers from member states of the EU/EEA who are treated in the same way as British Citizens);
  • Have a household income that does not exceed £60k;
  • Sell their exisiting property if they own one with capital growth on sale to be used as equity towards the purchase of the new home;
  • Be permanently employed in one of the eligible groups or be at least 3 months into a temporary contract issued for at least one year at the outset with at least 6 months remaining.

For intermediate rent schemes only:

  • Key workers must be unable/have difficulty renting a home suitable for their household needs within a reasonable travel to work area of their employment;
  • Indefinite leave either to enter or to remain in the UK is not necessary, although there must be at least 6 months remaining on any work permit;
  • Key workers must not have a household income that exceeds £60k;
  • Key workers who have temporary contracts with at least 6 months remaining are eligible, as well as those on permanent contracts.

Am I a key worker?

The current list of eligible key workers is being extended to cover a wider range of public sector workers where there is evidence of recruitment and retention issues. For 06/07 and 07/08 eligible key workers are:

  • All clinical staff employed by the NHS except doctors and dentists.
  • Qualified teachers in maintained primary and secondary schools and teachers in further education establishments. Children's social workers and qualified nursery nurses who work for the LEA are also eligible. There will continue to be a separate small targeted scheme for certain teachers in London.
  • Uniformed staff, below principal level, in Fire and Rescue Services.
    Currently included in this definition are the following services:
LondonBedfordshire & LutonCambridgeshireEssex
East SussexHampshireIsle of WightKent
OxfordshireRoyal BerkshireSurreyWest Sussex
  • Police Officers and community support officers. The inclusion of any frontline civilian staff will be determined individually with each Police Authority.
    Currently included in this definition are the following Police Authorities:
Metropolitan PoliceEssex PoliceNorfolk Police
Suffolk PoliceBedfordshire PoliceCambridgeshire Police
Hertfordshire PoliceThames Valley PoliceSurrey Police
Hampshire PoliceSussex PoliceKent Police
  • Planning Officers employed in Local Planning Authorities delivering statutory planning services.
  • Applicants from the Prison Service in one of the following disciplines:
    • Prison Officers and related grades;
    • Nursing Staff;
    • Operational Support Grades (OSGs);
    • Industrials;
    • Instructional Officers and employed in one of the following establishments
BrixtonBelmarshWandsworthWormwood Scrubs
FelthamLatchmere HousePentonvilleHolloway
The MountChelmsfordBullwood HallBedford
  • Within the Probation Service, Senior Probation Officers, Probation Officers, Probation Service Officers and for intermediate rent only, Trainee Probation Officers.
  • British Transport Police Officers and Community Support Officers based at stations in:
Milton KeynesSouthendReadingLondon
  • Police Officers in the Civil Nuclear Constabulary based at sites in Kent, Oxfordshire and Suffolk
  • Local Authority employed clinical staff, nursery nurses, occupational therapists, social workers, speech and language therapists and educational psychologists.