Apply to Demolish a Building

Notify us of intended demolition and find out more about the demolition process including how to deal with Asbestos.

The Demolition Process

To demolish a building or structure greater than 50m3 you need to notify us. Notification should be made at least six weeks before demolition starts. This enables all appropriate people and organisations to be advised of the proposed demolition and that measures to safeguard the health and safety of the public are put in place.
Normally, we issue counter notices (demolition permits) within one to two weeks although it can take a maximum of six. If the six weeks has elapsed or you have received your counter notice you can commence work. The counter notice will include a set of conditions and a schedule detailing measures to be taken to ensure that safety issues are addressed.
During the demolition process a Building Control surveyor will visit the site to ensure that conditions are being met and that no unforeseen factors are likely to affect public health and safety.

*It is an offence to demolish a building without the necessary notice being given.

Exempt Work:

No counter notice is required for the following work:

  • a demolition pursuant to an order under the Housing Act 1957
  • demolition of an internal part of a building, where the building is occupied and will continue to be so
  • a building that is less than 50m3 (externally),
  • a greenhouse, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage forming part of a larger building
  • an agricultural building, unless it is adjoining with another building that is non-agricultural

What you need to start work:

As well as a signed and completed notice you will need:

  • a plan to a scale not less than 1/1250 showing the boundaries of the site
  • a plan showing the outline of the building or part to be demolished
  • a detailed method statement of how the demolition is to be carried out

Copies of the application should also be sent as appropriate to:

  • the owners of any adjacent buildings
  • the public gas supplier (National Grid)
  • the public electricity supplier (UK Power Networks)
  • the local water company (Anglian Water)
  • Dorset Fire and Rescue Service

Contact Building Control via our online enquiry form or

Tel: 01353 665555
Fax: 01353 665240

The Town and Country Planning Act, and other relevant legislation

Works involving demolition may also require consent under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended). Different types of demolition e.g. a small porch and a large warehouse, will involve different rules and procedures. For further information contact Development Services Customer Support on 01353 665555.


Notification Forms

To inform us of an intended demolition, please complete an Intended Demolition form, or download a paper copy below and send it to us at The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, Cambs, CB7 4EE.