Apply to Bankrupt Someone Who Owes You Money


You have to present a bankruptcy petition to a court if you want to bankrupt someone because they owe you money.
There are also other ways to recover money you’re owed.
A bankruptcy petition is an application to the court for someone’s assets to be taken and sold to pay their debts.
Presenting a petition can be complicated. Most people use a solicitor or other professional to help them.
Using a mediation service could be quicker and cheaper. Mediation is when an impartial person helps 2 sides work out an agreement.
You can contact the Insolvency Service if you have questions about making someone bankrupt.

How to Present a Petition


The court fees to make someone bankrupt are:
  • £990 petition deposit (for managing the bankruptcy)
  • £280 for court costs
Pay the fees using cash, postal order or a cheque made payable to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’. You can pay by credit or debit card if you apply online.

See Also:

For further information: