Apply for a Visa to Travel Through the UK: step by step
Check what you need to do before you can apply for a visa to pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country).
Step1: Check if you need a visa
You might be eligible for different visas depending on why you are visiting the UK and how long for.
Step2: Check what type of transit visa you need
- The transit visa you need depends on if you need to go through UK border control. You can check this with your airline or travel company.
- Check which type of transit visa you need
Step3: Prepare the evidence you need
Step4: Apply for a transit visa
- Apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa £35
- Apply for a Visitor in Transit visa £64
- Check where your visa appointment will be
You should get a decision within 3 weeks of your appointment.
You might be able to pay an extra £220 for a decision within 5 working days or £956 for a decision within 24 hours (not including weekends or bank holidays). Check with your visa application centre.
Step5: Attend an appointment
At your appointment you will have your fingerprints and photograph (‘biometric information’) taken.
After your appointment you will be told when a decision has been made about your visa.
Step6: Travel to the UK
Keep the documents that prove why you are visiting the UK in your hand luggage so you can show them if asked.
Check your visa to find out when you must leave the UK. If you break the conditions of your visa you may not be able to return to the UK again.
For Further Information: