Becoming a foster carer
Anyone can apply to be a foster carer.Contact Cambridgeshire County Council Fostering Service if you are interested in fostering.
Some local councils use fostering agencies to get children into foster care, particularly children who might be hard to place. You can contact a fostering agency in your area directly.
- The council or agency will collect information about you, including a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check and a health check. Other household members over 18 will also be DBS checked.
- You will attend a group preparation session with other people who are applying.
- Your suitability to foster will be assessed. This can take up to 6 months.
- Your application will be sent to an independent fostering panel, which will recommend if you can become a foster carer.
- Your fostering service will make the final decision.
- Help with the cost of fostering
- Training and support for foster carers
- Types of foster care
- Claiming benefits while fostering