Get Proof of Employment History

Get Proof of Employment History

You can ask HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) for a record of your employment history, for example if you are making a compensation claim for:
  • an industrial injury (for example asbestosis or industrial deafness)
  • a road traffic accident
  • medical negligence
  • hardship (for example you are claiming through a benevolent fund or charity)
You can apply for this information yourself or get a solicitor or tax agent to do it for you.

How to Get Your Employment History

Fill in the application form and send it to HMRC. The address is on the form.
If you are applying through a solicitor or tax agent, you will first need to give them written consent. You can use the consent to access your employment history form. They will include your consent with your application.

Apply for an Employment History on Behalf of Someone Who has Died

You can apply to get the employment history of someone who’s died if you are legally entitled to claim damages on behalf of their estate:

How to Apply

Fill in the request employment history about a deceased person form and send it to HMRC. The address is on the form.
If a professional representative (for example a solicitor or coroner) gave you the form, fill it in and return it to them.

Contact HMRC

You can contact the National Insurance helpline if you have not heard from HMRC after 40 days.

For Further Information: