Investor Visa (Tier 1)
You can apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa if:
- you want to invest £2,000,000 or more in the UK
- you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland
- you meet the other eligibility requirements
You must have access to at least £2,000,000 in investment funds to apply.
How long it will take
The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel.
You can apply from 16 March if you plan to travel on 15 June.
You should get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks when you apply from outside the UK.
You must pay £1,623 to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa. The fee is the same if you are extending or switching visas, or if you are applying as a family member.
You will also have to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your application. Check how much you will have to pay before you apply.
Get a faster decision on your application
If you are applying to extend or switch in the UK you can pay an extra £500 for the priority service to get a decision within 5 working days.
Once you have got your decision letter, your biometric residence permit will take up to 10 working days to arrive.
How long you can stay
You can come to the UK with a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a maximum of 3 years and 4 months.
You can apply to extend this visa for another 2 years.
What you can and cannot do
- work or study
- apply to settle after 2 years if you invest £10 million
- apply to settle after 3 years if you invest £5 million
- apply to settle after 5 years if you invest £2 million
- work as a professional sportsperson or sports coach
- get public funds
You also cannot work as a doctor or dentist in training unless one of the following applies:
- you have a primary degree at bachelors level or above in medicine or dentistry from a UK institution that holds a Tier 4 sponsor licence or is a UK recognised or listed body
- you worked as a doctor or dentist in training the last time you were in the UK
- neither of those conditions were part of the terms and conditions on a previous visa
For Further Information: