Transfer your Visa from your Passport
You might need to transfer or replace your visa if either:
- your passport has expired
- your name or personal details have changed
Your passport has expired
What you need to do depends on if you use your visa to:
- travel to and from the UK
- prove your right to work in the UK
Travel to and from the UK
You can use the valid visa in your expired passport when you are travelling to and from the UK. You will need to travel with your expired and your new passport.
You can also choose to either:
- replace your visa with a biometric residence permit if you’re in the UK (the cost depends on your visa status)
- transfer your visa to a new passport online if you’re outside the UK
Prove your right to work in the UK
You cannot use a valid visa in your expired passport to prove you have the right to work in the UK. You must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit.
Your name or personal details have changed
You must replace your visa with a biometric residence permit if your overall stay in the UK is longer than 6 months and any of these details change:
- facial appearance
- date of birth
You do not need to get a biometric residence permit or report any changes if your stay in the UK is less than 6 months.
For Further Information: