You usually submit a VAT Return to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) every 3 months. This period of time is known as your ‘accounting period.’
The VAT Return records things for the accounting period like:
- your total sales and purchases
- the amount of VAT you owe
- the amount of VAT you can reclaim
- what your VAT refund from HMRC is
You must submit a VAT Return even if you have no VAT to pay or reclaim.
Final VAT Returns
You have to submit a final VAT Return when you cancel your VAT registration.
HMRC will send you a paper version to complete if your registration is cancelled because you are insolvent.
- Fill in your return
- How to submit your return
- Surcharges and penalties
- Interest on underpaid or overpaid VAT