Housing and Council Tax Benefits

We would like to remind residents to be very careful about correspondence or visits they receive from people claiming to represent the District Council regarding their Council Tax or business rates. Many scams involve sending letters which look like they come from the authority which are then followed up by home calls. The Council would never require you to sign anything there and then.

If anyone wishes to contact us regarding this they can contact the fraud team direct on 0800 515368 or reportingfraud@angliarevenues.gov.uk.


Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit are administered by your local Council, on behalf of the Government, to help you to meet the cost of your rent and/or Council Tax. They are paid to people who are liable to pay rent and/or Council Tax, (the person whose name is on the bill) and who have a low income, whether they are working or not.

Housing and Council Tax Benefits are means tested, so we will need to know about all of your income and capital in order to see if you are entitled. If you have to pay rent and/or Council Tax and your income is low, you can claim, regardless of whether you are retired, unemployed, or in full or part-time work. If you have over £16,000 capital, including property and investments you will not be entitled to any help, unless you receive the guarantee element of Pension Credit.

Anglia Revenues Partnership runs this service on behalf of East Cambridgeshire District Council.  The Anglia Revenues Partnership (ARP) is currently made up of Revenues Services for Breckland Council, East Cambs District Council, Forest Heath District Council and St Edmundsbury Borough Council who are working together to provide a quality Council Tax, Business Rates and Benefits Service for all our residents.

For more information on Housing & Council Tax Benefits, visit the Anglia Revenues Partnership website, email benefitsenquiries@angliarevenues.gov.uk or telephone ARP on 0845 842 6000.