It can be a criminal offence of fraud to try and avoid paying Council Tax by giving false information to the Council or by not telling the Council about any changes that may affect how much Council Tax is due.
Examples of different types of Council Tax fraud include:
- providing false or incorrect information when applying for Council Tax Reduction
- claiming Single Person Discount when other adults are living in the property
- claiming Student Discount or exemption when not enrolled on a course of full time education or not declaring non-students are resident at the property
- giving false information to claim a discount, exemption or other reduction
- not telling the Council when a discount or other reduction should be cancelled
The Council takes Council Tax fraud very seriously and will investigate any suspected case of fraud. Where fraud is proven, the Council will take action against the person committing fraud. This can include prosecuting offenders.