Licences, Permits and Registration

The Environmental Services Department is responsible for licensing. The licensing section is in turn responsible for the processing, issuing and enforcement of:

  • Personal Licences, Premise Licences, Club Premises Certificates & Temporary Event Notices issued under the Licensing Act 2003
  • Animal welfare licensing
  • Hackney Carriage & Private Hire Vehicle and Driver licences, and Private Hire Operator licences.
  • Street Trading
  • Temporary Pavement Licences under the Business and Planning Act (until 30 September 2022)
  • Charity House to House and Street Collections
  • Premises Licences, permits and lottery registrations issued under the Gambling Act 2005
  • Scrap Metal Site and Collector Licences
  • Sexual Establishment Licensing
  • The publication of a Public Licensing Register

Contact methods

The Licensing Authority is based at the Council Offices, however, due to the on-going Covid 19 situation, the offices are closed, and our officers are generally working remotely at present. For more information and support regarding Covid, please visit the Council's Covid 19 information and support page via the link below.

The service remains fully operational at this time, with a large selection of online application forms to make applying as simple as possible for all applicants. Just look for the blue highlighted links on our web-pages, as these will take you directly to the online form. Although it is possible to contact us via the main Council phone number, we would ask that you use email in the first instance for the foreseeable future:


Phone: 01353 665555 (main switchboard number)