Register of Interest in Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015 places a duty on local councils in England to keep and have regard to a register of people who are interested in self-build or custom build projects in their area.

  • Self build describes a project where you play a signification part in the the process of designing, planning and building you own home.
  • Custom build housing is where a builder is contracted by a homeowner to create a ‘custom built’ home.

By signing up, you will help us to find out more about the demand for custom and self-build plots in East Cambridgeshire, where people would like their plot to be and the type of house that they would like to build.

The Council will use then information to explore ways in which it might be possible for people and plots to be brought together. Registration does not however, guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

How to apply

If you wish to apply to be included on the Council’s register you must:

  • Be aged 18 or over
  • A British Citizen a national of an EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland, and
  • Seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authorities area to build a house to occupy as that individuals sole or main residence.

An association is eligible for entry in the register if each member of the association meets all of the eligibility requirements for an individual set out above.

Any personal information supplied will only be used for the purposes of maintaining the register and will only be disclosed to others strictly in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

The register will be reviewed each year and the information held will be anonymised. The headline details will be made available on the Council’s website.

The forms are also available below to download

If you have any queries about the register, please contact Sally Bonnett, Infrastructure and Strategy Manager, email or telephone 01353 665555.

Useful Links

Sources of funding, help and advice