Commenting on a planning application

How can I comment?

Anyone can make comments, for or against, a planning application during the statutory 21 day consultation period. All valid comments will be taken into consideration when Officers make a decision on any application.

Please see our Planning Data Retention and Privacy (pdf) document which details how we will process, store and dispose of your data and ECDC's Privacy Notice

It is possible to submit comments in a number of ways:

  • Online: Through our Public Access System. You will need to search for the application (using the reference number) and follow the 'comment' tab in order to submit a comment.
  • In writing: You can send comments by post to: Planning, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE.

If you submit comments via submit your conments via email, you will not need to send a hard copy or vice versa.  Your comments will be acknowledged by post once they have been scanned and personal information redacted by the support team.

You will need to include the planning reference number, your name and full address with any comments or they cannot be accepted. You should also be prepared for your comments to be available to the applicant and to the general public through the public access system, although any sensitive information such as signatures and email addresses will be withheld. Slanderous, racist or malicious comments will not be published.

What can I comment on?

Officers can only consider comments relating to what are known as 'material planning considerations'. These are generally issues such as:

More information on what can and cannot be considered is available on the Material Planning Considerations section of this website.

What happens if objections are received?

Even if objections are made to a development proposal, it does not necessarily mean that the application will be refused. In these instances Officers have to consider the objections, whether they are material planning considerations and make a balanced assessment as to whether the proposal is acceptable or not.

It may be that if a high number of objections are received that the application is referred to Planning Committee.