Planning Enforcement Report a Breach

Covid-19 Update

Assessments of the breach you have reported may take longer than normal. We may request further information from you to aid in the investigation; such as photographs or measurements.
We are only able to carry out site visits where we do not need to go inside a private property.  External site visits will only be undertaken if we can safely assess the site from public land, such as the public highway, or where it has been ascertained that nobody at the property has any symptoms, is self-isolating or shielding, and that the occupier or owner has given their approval.
In respect of contact with the case officer/the council offices during this period, as you will appreciate the majority of staff are working remotely, and email contact in the first instance is suggested and preferred.
Whilst we are working hard to maintain our usual efficient service, as we are working in different ways to respond to the restrictions of Coronavirus at this time, you may experience a delay.  
The Government has introduced some new legislation that came into force on the 24 March and is in place until the 23 March 2022. This allows Class A3 restaurants and cafes and other Class A4 Drinking uses to expand without planning permission for the provision of takeaway foods. More on this can be found via the following link: The Government has also advised that local planning authorities should use their discretion on the enforcement of planning conditions which hinder the effective response to COVID-19 pandemic.
This information will be kept under review in light of any further updates and changes from the government in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

If you think any development or work being carried out in the District is in breach of planning regulations, you should contact the Planning Enforcement Team as soon as possible.

You can report a suspected breach below:

Please see our Data Retention and Privacy (pdf) document and ECDC's Privacy Notice

You can also report a breach using the following methods:

  • Online: By using the button above you can submit a complaint online
  • By Phone: By calling the Enforcement Team on 01353 665555
  • In writing: By completing our Enforcement Complaint Form (pdf) and sending it to Planning Enforcement, East Cambridgeshire District Council, The Grange, Nutholt Lane, Ely, CB7 4EE

What is a Breach of Planning Control?

There are a number of works that would be regarded as a breach of planning control, including:

  • Development being undertaken without the benefit of planning permission;
  • Development that was approved subject to conditions but one or more of those conditions are being ignored;
  • Unauthorised change of use of a building or land;
  • Unauthorised works to a listed building;
  • Unauthorised works to a protected tree.

The Planning Enforcement Team cannot consider the following complaints and details of who are to contact are provided below:

  • Land ownership disputes - contact Land Registry website
  • Works on a public highway - contact Cambridgeshire County Highways on 0345 0455212
  • Environmental Health issues such as pollution, noise, etc - contact the Environmental Health Team on 01353 665555
  • Dangerous buildings or structures - contact the Building Control Team on 01353 665555

Anonymous Complaints

In order to avoid malicious complaints, anonymous allegations of breaches of planning control area not normally investigated. You should however, be aware that all of your personal details will be treated in the strictest of confidence.

Should you feel uncomfortable providing your personal details, we recommend you approach your parish council or local ward member, who can file the report on your behalf.